SUMMARY: Have a passion for leveraging project management skills to drive the successful delivery of projects? As a Co-op at Amtrak, you will learn the foundational principles in project management and make tangible impacts on a wide range of complex, transformational projects in a real-world rail industry environment. You will work under close supervision of a program manager and in collaboration with all levels of stakeholders: from department leaders, to project/program managers, analysts, and functional leads. Individuals in this role use project management knowledge and analytical skills to support assigned projects, including:
Support project performance reporting
Create and maintain project artifacts and ensure appropriate document and administrative controls
Work with project team members and subject matter experts to coordinate logistics for assigned projects
The co-op selected for this opportunity will join the NEC Service Line PMO, which has capstone responsibilities for high priority and high visibility Fleet Implementation programs from a business perspective. The primary program the co-op will work on is the multi-billion dollar Acela Next Generation high speed trainset program (Acela 21). The co-op will also support the emerging InterCity Train (ICT) program, with a focus on Procurement process support and program initiation. The co-op may also be engaged with other PMO programs as business priorities dictate
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: • Engage in fast paced learning of Next Generation Acela high speed trainset program, including Workforce Readiness and other cross-departmental aspects, activities, and processes
• Support project teams with project status reporting, documentation, controls and other processes to ensure compliance with audit requirements, department procedures and enterprise standards
• Create and maintain required documentation including project organization charts, distribution lists, project logs, project schedules, requirements documents, project budgets, meeting minutes, and status reports
• Assist in development and review of project scope, schedule and budget
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: • Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
• Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate/graduate degree in Project Management, Business, Management, Engineering, Science, Mathematics, Organizational Research, or Operations Analysis
• Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status at minimum.
• Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: • Relevant work experience (e.g., internships, school jobs)
• An interest in program and project management as a corporate practice
• Excellent verbal and written skills
• Positive attitude that presents in interactions with program leaders and partners
• Microsoft Office experience (Word, Excel, PowerPoint. MS Project is a plus)
• Analytical skills
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
The Northeast Corridor (NEC) is the rail backbone of the Northeast region and the busiest passenger rail corridor in the United Sates. It connects eight states and the District of Columbia and each day serves 800,000 riders and 2,000 commuter, intercity, and freight trains.