TITLE: PUBLIC AFFAIRS ADMINISTRATOR GRADE: Y [SALARY RANGE $81,158.93 thru $134,723.83] FLSA STATUS: Professional Exemption (Salaried)
Reports to the Chief of Staff. Executes VRE's public affairs activities and supports government relations efforts. Will lead VRE corporate communications efforts, overseeing community outreach, civic engagement, public relations, internal and external communications to provide information to the public, employees, and the media concerning VRE services, programs and initiatives. Serves as VRE's Public Information Officer
SCOPE OF DUTIES
• Oversees the development and implementation of communication strategies to communicate VRE's mission and operational objectives effectively to internal and external stakeholders.
• Provides expertise in strategy and message development, editorial support, design and creative services, speech writing, and media/event planning.
• Provides strategic and tactical counsel in crisis situations to protect the organization's reputation and brand.
• Supports the preparation and implementation of the annual federal and state legislative agenda for VRE, which includes reviewing legislation and determining potential effects on VRE, attending a variety of meetings, and contacting regulatory agencies for assistance, guidance, and support.
• Remains familiar with the relevant political landscape and policy-making process at the federal, state and local level.
• Develops background information, tactics and approaches for presenting policy positions and other information both in-house and to external stakeholders.
• Develops an effective program to communicate and advocate for topics of interest with customers, stakeholders and all levels of elected officials.
• Serves as the organization’s Public Information Officer, and as such is the primary point of contact for the news media, organizations and the public seeking information about VRE’s programs, policies, procedures, statistics, and service.
• Manages the development and implementation of communication strategies, plans, and initiatives that promote VRE’s goals and objectives, including enhanced service, projects and related resources.
• Provides input to the development of the Chief of Staff budget.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Strong verbal and written communications skills. Excellent punctuation, grammatical and attention to detail skills are a must as well as the professional understanding/usage of the English language to write and edit material of the highest standard.
• Experience as a strong writer who can effectively communicate to sophisticated readers.
• The ability to draft press releases, biographies, internal communications, and other similar media materials for sophisticated internal and external audiences.
• Experience with a variety of Social Media platforms.
• The ability to maintain targeted media lists and to monitor news publications for press coverage of VRE, Commissions, member jurisdictions, and other relevant stakeholders.
• Knowledge of Public Relations principles.
• Knowledge of project management techniques, including budgeting, scheduling, scoping and quality control.
• Knowledge of strategic planning principles.
• Knowledge of customer service principles.
• Ability to analyze data.
• Ability to establish detailed work procedures.
• Ability to work independently and manage projects in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to deal effectively in a service oriented environment.
• Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Business Communications, Strategic Communications or related areas. Advanced degree preferred.
• 5-10 years of related professional experience, preferably in the transportation industry.
• Must be professional, organized and have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license, current auto insurance and maintain a good driving record at all times during employment with VRE.
• Must be responsive 24/7 to phone calls and priority e-mails, except as otherwise scheduled, to convey service concerns, weather related issues, etc. to the media and pertinent members of the public.
• Experience writing and editing Press Releases, Editorial pieces, or other written materials for publication.
• Ability to create higher rates of engagement and increased numbers of followers/subscribers across the organizations various social media platforms.
• Experience conducting on-air interviews for TV and Radio news organizations, especially during crisis situations.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
VRE is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. VRE is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunities for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
For the complete job description, please see our website: www.vre.org. Full time position with great benefits. Projected hiring range: $81,158 - $115,000, depending upon prior experience and education. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Veterans are encouraged to apply. Background checks are performed on all new employees. No inquiring phone calls will be accepted in response to this ad.
Qualified candidates seriously interested in applying should submit by e-mail or mail a professional styled cover letter, resume, salary history and three confidential references (to include their address, phone & e-mail) by close of business, January 25, 2019, to:
Human Resources Administrator 1500 King St. Suite 202 Alexandria, VA 22314 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Virginia Railway Express
Commuter Rail Operation with 51administrative staff members