Under general supervision of the Assistant Vice President, Construction, Code and Survey, manages, reviews and inspects civil and transportation projects. Reviews and analyzes traffic, structural and geotechnical engineering studies. Reviews civil site design, construction plans and land development designs submitted by consultants and contractors for compliance with the adopted I-Codes and amendments, FAA, TxDOT, AASHTO and ADA/TAS Standards, DFW Design Criteria Manual, contract provisions, traffic regulations and control. Oversees and approves the Airport’s Maintenance-of-Traffic design submittals, construction staging, traffic signal systems designs, traffic signs, and markings sealed by a Professional Engineer for compliance with the Texas Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (TMUTCD). Performs field inspection of newly constructed or modified facilities open to public travel, traffic control signal systems, and maintenance-of-traffic control work zones to ensure compliance. Reviews and inspects civil, drainage, utility and structural drawings for Commercial Development, Concessions, and Tenant projects. Recommends plan changes to comply with specifications and design criteria or to improve the maintainability or longevity of new construction projects.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Confers with the AVP on policies, processes, guidelines and programs related to code compliance, plan review and inspections associated with the design, construction and modification of facilities, airfield, public works, land development, and transportation projects on Airport property to ensure compliance with Federal and State Regulations, adopted I-Codes and Amendments, DFW Construction and Fire Prevention Standards and DOT standards and specifications.
- Monitors and tracks plan reviews and inspections through permit tracking software for new construction and modification of facilities, airfield, land development and public works projects prior to issuance of construction permits and certificates of occupancy.
- Coordinates and oversees the plan review and inspection of civil, drainage, utility, transportation and structural projects portions of all Airport Board and Tenant projects through direct supervision of Utility, Transportation and Structural Plans Examiner/Inspectors.
- Manages, plans, schedules, supervises and evaluates the activities of staff and ensures the accuracy, timeliness and quality of plan review and inspections.
- Provides direction to code and construction inspection staff for proper coordination in the enforcement of the DFW Design Criteria Manual, adopted codes, approved plans and additional state and federal standards and regulations.
- As authorized by the AVP, approves and makes changes to Airport traffic control devices, signs, signals, markings, and insignia in accordance with Board Rules and Regulations and TMUTCD.
- Manages the Airport’s maintenance-of-traffic and conducts the ROAD-STOP meeting and weekly ROAD-STOP report.
- Reviews and inspects engineering plans, traffic control plans, traffic studies and changes for compliance with construction code, design criteria and government regulations prior to construction.
- Assists with the maintenance and updating of the DFW Design Criteria Manual and Standard Details, FAA Advisory Circular,
- Develops recommendations and assists in formulating design criteria in conformity with accepted standards and in harmony with adopted design criteria.
- Enhance the performance of the Airport’s transportation systems through performance based decision-making.
- Ensures Airport facilities comply with FAA, TMUTCD, and other mandated design standards.
- Acts as technical expert in public works and transportation matters.
- Prepares weekly and monthly dashboards and reports using Microsoft software.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited university.
- Texas registration as Engineer-in-Training.
- Five (5) years of progressively professional level experience in engineering review, design quality control, and traffic management.
- Two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- Possession of a valid Class C driver's license.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the theory, principles, practices and design fundamentals of civil and traffic engineering.
- Knowledge of soils, structural pavement sections, retaining wall and foundation principles.
- Knowledge of Capacity and Level of Service concepts and clear zone guidelines.
- Knowledge in preparing and reviewing Traffic Impact Studies, Spot Speed and Travel Time and Delay Studies.
- Knowledge of traffic control signals, signal timing, installation and operation.
- Knowledge of AASHTO, MUTCD and TxDOT Standards.
- Knowledge of Advance Traffic Management System principles.
- Knowledge of major types of construction, materials and equipment specifically related to public works projects, land development and transportation projects.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and Local standards and regulations, including international codes relating to major public works, land development and transportation projects.
- Skill in preparing and reviewing complete engineering drawings, detailed cost estimates, schedules and specifications.
- Ability to detect and correct non-complying items during plan review.
- Ability to perform computations, analyses and studies and to compile engineering data and statistics to reach appropriate conclusions and judgements.
- Texas registration as a Professional Engineer or ability to secure through reciprocity within six months of employment.
- Knowledge of the aviation industry and rules and regulations governing air transportation.
Internal Number: 1004250
About Dallas/Fort Worth Internation Airport Board
About Us We are Dallas Fort Worth International (DFW) Airport—one of the most successful airports in the world by any definition. We’re recognized for our innovation, leadership, drive for excellence and talented employees, and over the past five years we achieved almost every strategic objective and performance goal that we set out to achieve. Our success is made possible because of the diverse talents of nearly 2,000 employees who champion our mission of providing an exceptional Airport experience to our customers and connect our community to the world. We’re looking for the best talent to join our Airline Relations department and help us re-imagine what an airport can be. Bring your talents to DFW and live and work with purpose.