TITLE: ACCOUNTANT I [GRANTS] GRADE: M [SALARY RANGE $44,171 THRU $73,325] FLSA STATUS: NON-EXEMPT
Works under the direction of the Accounting Supervisor performing various financial accounting activities required for the Virginia Railway Express (VRE). Duties will include, but are not limited to, assisting with the day to day administration, processing, review and tracking of grant reimbursements and revenues in support of the Senior Accountant (Grants) and Accounting Supervisor.
SCOPE OF DUTIES
• Performs accounting related duties of assigned area, including compiling, analyzing, and reconciling financial information, posting journal entries, and generating reports.
• Prepares, records, and posts required monthly and year-end journal entries and maintains accounting records for the general ledger account system.
• Performs grant-related accounts receivable reconciliation, including VRE miscellaneous invoicing, tracking, payment processing and information distribution. Maintains invoices and monitors federal, state and local billings. Tracks the receipt of funds and reconciles to the general ledger.
• Reconciles daily and monthly grant-related financial activity. Reviews, investigates, and corrects errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, and reports.
• Assists in the year-end audit process through the preparation and review of audit schedules and account analyses in support of the Senior Accountant (Grants) to ensure accuracy.
• Coordinates with NVTC, PRTC and staff within VRE on eligibility of activities for grant reimbursement.
• Enhance and improve the grant accounting process by making improvements to the various excel-based tracking and reconciliation documents, improving accuracy and accountability in reporting.
• Maintains record of federal interest in fixed assets for projects capitalized each fiscal year.
• Attends monthly Construction-In-Progress (CIP) meetings to ensure grant staff is aware of current and pending issues involving grant funded projects.
• Prepares schedules and supporting documents for periodic Financial Management Oversight reviews and compliance review audits by Federal and State funding agencies; answers auditor’s questions to demonstrate compliance with governing guidelines and regulations.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of generally accepted principles and practices of accounting, including FASB, GASB, and GAAP.
• Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules and regulations.
• Knowledge of, or ability to learn, automated financial management software packages.
• Ability to monitor and analyze complex financial systems.
• Ability to accurately organize and maintain extensive paper documents and electronic files.
• Ability to maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries.
• Ability to communicate and interact with coworkers, supervisors, and the general public at a level sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
• Ability to prepare complex accounting entries (with oversight) and perform high level analyses of difficult financial issues.
• Ability to establish and follow detailed work procedures and meet regular deadlines.
• Ability to post accounts and to perform mathematical computations with speed and accuracy.
• Ability to use a personal computer and related software applications, including automated financial systems and Microsoft Excel and Word.
• Demonstrates a level of confidence, maturity, and judgment that allows independent analysis and problem resolution in a real-time environment.
• Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field in addition to five (5) years of professional-level grant accounting experience is required. A master’s degree in a related field or CPA certification may substitute for two (2) years of experience.
• Must be open to working the flexible hours demanded by a transit operation environment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Veterans are encouraged to apply. Background checks are performed on all new employees. No inquiring phone calls will be accepted in response to this ad. Qualified candidates interested in applying should submit by e-mail or mail a professional styled cover letter, resume and three confidential references (to include their address, phone & e-mail) by close of business, June 29, 2018, to:
Human Resources Administrator 1500 King St. Suite 202 Alexandria, VA 22314 E-mail: email@example.com
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
About Virginia Railway Express
Commuter Rail Operation with 51administrative staff members