SmithGroupJJR is an international idea-oriented design firm that is committed to creating inspiring places that enrich the human spirit. We believe that extraordinary projects are created when the design process is based on the principles of exploration, experimentation, innovation, sustainability, research, and collaboration. Our expertise in providing thoughtful and innovative solutions keeps SmithGroupJJR at the forefront of architectural, engineering and planning firms around the world. According to the 2016 Building Design + Construction magazine “Giants” ranking, SmithGroupJJR is the 6th largest architecture/engineering firm in the U.S.
The Detroit, Michigan office of SmithGroupJJR, named one of Southeast Michigan’s Top 100 Workplaces by the Detroit Free Press in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, is looking for a Lighting Designer for our downtown Detroit office specialty Lighting Studio. Our Lighting Studio provides lighting and daylighting design services to all SmithGroupJJR offices and to external clients nationally and internationally. Our lighting design awards make up over 34% of the total company design awards. We are seeking a talented individual who is committed to design excellence, who thrives in an environment of collaboration and who demonstrates a high degree of creativity and entrepreneurial spirit.
Working with us, responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the lighting design for projects, assuring that technical, schedule and budget targets are met in accordance with client expectations and applicable professional standards.
- Mentor lighting design staff.
- Meet with clients, project teams, code officials, contractors and others to address: engineering/design issues and to develop effective working relationships.
- Assess current design tools and software to determine efficiency and delivery of design solutions.
- Consult with manufacturers, evaluate materials, and select lighting systems.
- Refine and further develop design concepts given by others.
- Create and develop design concepts for more complex projects.
- Oversee design work of others to ensure an integrated and cohesive design.
- Present design solutions to client representative and/or design review committees.
- Supervise the development of renderings for client presentations.
- Manage one or more projects (including job production and quality, and fee management).
- Organize and lead team meeting involving consultants and/or owners.
- Establish and maintain project staffing requirements consistent with contractual obligations.
- Participate in the preparation of proposals after being given the vision and strategy for the marketing effort.
- Assist in business development activities.
- Maintain relationships with past clients.
- Conduct project reviews and goal setting with assigned staff.
- Lead design award submissions.
An ideal candidate has:
- Minimum of 4+ years of Lighting Design experience.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Architectural Engineering with a concentration in Lighting Design or equivalent.
- Ability to produce and coordinate the lighting and controls portion of construction documents for permitting and bidding on small projects.
- Working knowledge of the design and construction process, project administration and administration procedures.
- Working knowledge of other disciplines concepts and the ability to understand and communicate with professionals of other disciplines.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with team members, consultants, and clients.
- Proficiency in current design software (CAD, Revit, Adobe, etc.) as well as Microsoft Office.
SmithGroupJJR offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We also offer a flexible work schedule that provides employees with an additional 14 or 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Interested in joining us? Get started today by visiting our website at www.smithgroupjjr.com and be sure to submit an electronic portfolio along with your resume.
500 Griswold Street
Detroit, MI 48226